Friday, April 9, 2010

Mispeled

So, it seems I'm not the only one who can't function without spell check. When the San Francisco Giants' Eugenio Velez took the field on Wednesday night against our beloved Houston Astros, his jersey read "San Francicso." Even I can see that's wrong.

Apparently, last year, two Washington National players hit the field with "Natinal" scrawled across their jerseys. Looks like you can't run spell check on baseball jerseys.

I'm not making fun. I'm merely recognizing a kindred spirit or two out there. I misspelled my own first name until sometime in the second grade. (I plead the fifth on whether I have misspelled it in the past year.)

All I can say is that those six linguists from Georgetown University who invented the first spell-check system for IBM are some one of my heroes. (Like how I worked something random into a sentence?)

On a different note . . . You've probably heard or seen the Spellchecker Poem. If not, here's a link: http://www.paulhensel.org/teachspell.html

Right on.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a terrible speller. I just fake good spelling in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete