Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Giraffes

My day job revolves around laws and regulations, so I often have a chance to wonder -- Now, why did they make that a law? Sometimes, I even find out the answers. But there are a few laws that it's probably more fun not to know.

For example, in Atlanta, Georgia, it is illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp. Just how many giraffes have there been roaming the streets of Atlanta that this had to be made into a law? And, is it okay to tie an okapi to a telephone pole or a street lamp?

Another law that makes me giggle -- it's illegal to whale hunt in Oklahoma. Uhm, was that necessary?

And finally, it's illegal to plow a field with an elephant in North Carolina. I understand this one comes results from a P.T. Barnum publicity stunt, but really how many times did he try that one?

So, while you're thinking about that, I'm going to find out if it's okay to raise alligators in the Houston suburbs because it's not legal in Corpus Christi.

No comments:

Post a Comment