There are cat people, and there are dog people. I'm a dog person, which is a bit of a problem because I'm allergic to them. Well, to their dander. I'm also allergic to cats, but that's not so much of a problem, because I don't actually have a cat. I do, however, have a dog. In honor of my allergy-inducing canine friend, here are a few doggy randoms:
1. All dogs are descendants of a weasel-like critter called the Miacis which lived in trees and dens. The Miacis later evolved into the Tomarctus, which was a forbear of the genus Canus. The genus Canus includes dogs, wolves, and jackals.
2. Dogs have three eyelids. The third lid, called a nictitating membrane or “haw,” lubricates and protects the eye.
3. The dog on the Cracker Jacks box is named Bingo.
4. Dogs can hear sounds from four times farther away than humans.
5. The majority of experts believe that humans domesticated dogs before donkeys, horses, sheep, goats, cattle, cats, or chickens.
Have a doggone good week.