Monday, July 5, 2010

Red, White, and Blue

I hope that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July. We spent most of the day taking my oldest daughter to camp. And, let's just say that if this is any indication of what it will be like to drop her off at college, I'm going to need sedatives . . .

So, enough about that. Let's get back to the Fourth. I feel a special connection to Independence Day because one of my ancestors fought in the American Revolution. Family rumor has it that he even served under Washington at Valley Forge. (I haven't tracked that bit down, but it's an accepted part of family lore.)

As I sit in my comfortable home enjoying the greatest personal freedom in the world, it's hard to imagine the conditions that brought our ragtag ancestors to the point of trying to overthrow an empire. But today, I live the freedom they fought so hard to win. May I never forget their sacrifices.

In honor of the Fourth of July, here are a few Star Spangled randoms:

1. Only one American president was born on the 4th of July -- Calvin Coolidge.
2. Only two people actually signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776.
3. Independence Day wasn't declared a national holiday until 1941.

Enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment