Friday, May 7, 2010

Tweezers Day

Mother's Day is just a few days away. I have the privilege of being a mom and of having a mom, so I like Mother's Day.

But I'm thinking about asking it to be renamed "Tweezers Day." You see, when I was little, I had a costume for my twirling recital that involved material that looked like it had been covered with a shredded Tab can. It bore a strong resemblance to a hairy, metallic, pink caterpillar. The thing itched like a wool sweater on steroids.

My mom patiently and carefully plucked all of the little things jutting out around the neck opening and the arm openings of the top and the waistband and leg openings with a pair of tweezers. While all of the other girls were squirming and itching, I was itch free.

It was my mom's simple act of love that sticks with me. Not any particular thing she ever bought me, although I appreciate that sacrifices that were made to buy those things. But the act, or rather acts. Every day, moms all around the world do little things that mean "I love you" like words cannot.

I hope I've done some little things that let my children know how much I love them, and I hope that they have Tweezers Days too.

Happy Tweezers Day to all the moms out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment