Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Famous Things That Were Never Said

So I was doing a little research because I wanted to use the phrase "Beam me up, Scotty" in a manuscript I'm working on, and I learned that the phrase was never said in any Star Trek movie or TV show. Captain Kirk came close with "Beam us up, Scotty" and "Scotty, beam me up." That made me wonder what other famous quotes were never actually said by the source to which we attribute them.

"Play it again, Sam" is the classic movie non-quote. I've also learned that Darth Vader never uttered "Luke, I am your father," and apparently, Joe Friday never said, "Just the facts, ma'am." Likewise, Sherlock Holmes never said, "It's elementary, my dear Watson."

Next someone will be telling me that J.J. never said "Dy-no-mite." I'm going back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment