Monday, October 25, 2010

Jumping Rope

I decided that with all of my recent travel, I needed to find a way to exercise that wouldn't involve running in a strange city. So, I started jumping rope with a goal of jumping a total of ten minutes. Sounds simple enough.

1) Get a rope.

2) Jump over the rope.

3) Repeat #2 until ten minutes have passed.

Here's how things go in reality:

1) Get a rope.

2) Jump over the rope until heart feels like it's going to leap out of chest.

3) Stop jumping. Suck air like a vacuum cleaner. Gulp water.

4) Check watch.

5) Repeat ##2-4 until a minute has passed.

Needless to say, I've also learned a few things along the way:

1) Jumping rope doesn't lend itself to making adjustments to eye glasses on the fly. If they start slipping down the nose, they're just going to have to slip until the next break.

2) The kids learn quickly that it's hard for Mommy to yell at them and jump rope, so Mom's jump rope time is chaos time.

3) The dog thinks that it's his mission in life to get as close to the jump rope as possible without actually getting hit thereby making me paranoid about hitting him and causing me to jump around the patio like some sort of intoxicated bumble bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment