The Texas Rangers are playing the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series. Yes, I know. Nothing new about that. But I thought some of the trivia about Texas shared on last night's game was interesting.
For example, Texas has more airports than any other state. (I didn't know that, but it makes sense. We need them to get from one part of the state to another in less than a day.)
In honor of the Texas Rangers, here are a few other randoms about Texas:
1. Texas spans 801 miles from its southern tip to its northern state line.
2. The Amarillo airport has the 3rd longest runway in the world and is designated as an alternate landing site for the space shuttle.
3. While Texas was a Republic, its northern panhandle extended all the way into southern Wyoming.
4. The Texas state capitol building is the largest of all the states. It spans 8.5 acres and has almost 500 rooms.
5. The largest county in Texas is Brewster County, which covers 6,233 square miles. That's more square miles than Connecticut.
So, when we say things are bigger in Texas, we really mean it.