Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year, A Year Older

I was born in a town so small that, even though I wasn't born on New Year's Day, I was the New Year's Baby. I have newspaper clippings to prove it. Somewhere. Okay, maybe I've seen the newspaper clippings, and could probably dig them up to show you, but am not positive where they are right now.

So, with each New Year, I get older too. Which means that I have something in common with Koreans -- I'm just a day late. They count themselves older with each New Year, and in fact, they count the time in the womb as one year, so a newborn baby is one year-old at birth. That means that a baby born on December 31st will be two years old on January 1st.

I'm not going to tell you how old I am, but if you ask my youngest child, she'll be glad to do so.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment